Packing of Seed
Approval of Packing Material
1. Performa of Label/Tag
2. Seed Treatment
The main objective of seed treatment refers to the application of fungicides, insecticides or a combination of both, to seed so as to disinfect and disinfest them from seed or soil borne pathogenic organisms and storage insects to improve germination and storage period.
TYPES OF SEED TREATMENT
1. SEED DISINFECTION
It refers to the eradication of fungal spores that have become established within the seed coat or in more deep tissues.
2. SEED DISINFESTATION
It refers to the destruction of surface borne organism that have contaminated the seed surface but not penetrated the seed surface/coat.
3. SEED PROTECTION
This is the treatment to protect the seed and young seedling from organisms in the soil which might otherwise cause decay of the seed before germination.
SEED TREATING CHEMICALS
· Organic: Generally, these compounds are less effective but are not harmful to seeds as that of organic mercurial and the seed can be stored for long period without any injury.
· Inorganic: In this category chemicals such as copper carbonate, copper sulphate, cuprous oxide, combination of zinc oxide and hydroxide constitute the major inorganic non-mercurial compounds used as fungicides.
· Insecticides: Now a day’s various types of insecticides are used for seed treatment in combination with fungicides to protect soil insects and storage insects mainly.
METHODS OF TREATMENT
· Dusting: The chemicals and seed are thoroughly mixed in a mechanical mixer normally at the rate of 200 to 300 gm. chemical/q.
· Slurry: In this method the fungicide is applied to the seed in a soup like water suspension which is mixed with the seed in a special slurry treater. All foundation class seeds shall invariably be subjected to such treatment.
· Liquids: This is also known as quick wet method in which concentrated solution of fungicide is applied to the seed and thoroughly mixed, dried and packed.
· Packet: In this method recommended dosage of the fungicide kept in each seed container along with the method of using it. Generally, this method is used in the certified seed class in Rajasthan.
Since most products are harmful for humans, extreme care is to be taken while treating the seed and treated seed is never be used as human or animal food and a warning of this effect is essentially be printed on each bag and label.